Sunday, July 29, 2007

Warped back & Dolphin bridge - Day 3

DAY 3 - (HOURS: 1.15, TOTAL TIME: 6.40HRS)

As you can guess by the name of the post, the back was warped when I came back the next day.

We had a particularly humid and wet day on Friday, and today, being Saturday, the sun came out and warped the back!

You can buy small humidifiers and gauges on stewmac.com to avoid this happening. But generally speaking, if your woods are properly kiln dried(which this one obviously wasn't) and you don't live in a climate that suffers drastic changes, you don't need to spend money on these.

I cut the rough shape of the back, as I did in the previous post with the top, and i used the same method and template. I didn't attempt to take down the thickness as the Rosewood is proving to be quite resilient to planing, sanding or anything else I try! More on that later....

Using the template I made already, I traced the soundhole shape onto the top:

- if you've traced correctly, and kept the central lines together, the point of the compass will land perfectly on the glued central line.

An here's my plan for the bridge, which I briefly mentioned, and glued, in the previous post:


- with the bridge and headstock you can usually try your own designs. I'm going way out there with mine! But that's half the beauty of making the instrument yourself, making it your own, putting your own flare and ideas into it.


I spent a lot of time trying things today that didn't really give me the results I wanted. I don't feel this is wasted time in anyway, I'm constantly learning, and it's a great feeling to exhaust other methods before finding the right one, you know you've done all you can to make it as good as it can be.

Here's a couple of pics of things I tried that didn't have the desired results:

- marking out a template for a neck that I've decided not to use.


- planing the sides down by 0.00000000000000067mm!!!!

- a Dolphin too fat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.