Saturday, August 18, 2007

Joing Heel To Neck & Finishing Mould Exterior - Day 6

DAY 6 - (HOURS 1.30, TOTAL TIME 13.30HRS)

A very short day.

I started by planing down the surface on the bottom of the heel I made yesterday, and continued by planing the surface on the neck where the heel will join it.
Picture time:



- it actually took a few attempts to get this surface straight. I got there in the end!

- a quick plane to the underbelly where the heel is joining it.

- I lined everything up to see if it was going to be a good join all around.


- then I clamped again with the glue this time.


Awesome.


At this point I made a brief try at sanding the sides to the thickness required on the belt sander. Twenty minutes of this proved that it was fruitless.


So I moved back to the mould and went about attaching the second template to the top.


Like so:

- sticking these guys out at each end where the sides join, will allow me to clamp it closed easier when I've got the sides bent and placed in it. I'm throwing around the idea of drilling a hole through and usual a bolt to keep them together. Stay tuned...


- I left them clamped for a wee while then took them off covered the top of all the pieces of pine with glue.


- slapped the top on, making sure it was level.



- be careful when you put the weight on the glue, as it will most likely 'float' off to one side. So give one last quick check down in between the weights to make sure it's all lined up correctly with the template glued to the bottom. Then head for a pint, you've deserved it!

No comments: